March is Flood Awareness Month

Do you live in a flood zone?  You can find out by going to FEMA’s portal  and typing in your address. 

Many people believe their homeowners or farmowners policy will cover damage caused by flood; however, this is not true.  Most policies specifically exclude damage by flooding.  If you need flood insurance, you must purchase a flood insurance policy.  Talk to your homeowners agent or contact the NFIP Referral Call Center at 1-800-427-4661 to request an agent referral.

Go to FEMA’s How Do I Buy Flood Insurance to get good information to think about (and questions to ask your agent).

Check your flood zone status today and take the necessary steps to protect your home.  A flood is bad enough so don’t make it worse by finding out your not covered.